MCQs on Semiconductor Device
- Which among the following is the most commonly used semiconductor?
Answer: (a) Silicon
- What happens to the resistance of a pure semiconductor when heated?
- The resistance increases
- The resistance decreases
- The temperature remains the same
- Can’t say
Answer: (b) The resistance decreases
- How many valence electrons does a pentavalent impurity have?
Answer: (c) 5
- How many valence electrons do trivalent impurities have?
Answer: (b) 3
- Which of the following is created when trivalent impurities are added to a semiconductor?
- Free electrons
- Bound electrons
- Valence electrons
Answer: (b) Holes
- Which of the following does a hole in the semiconductor define?
- A free proton
- A free neutron
- A free-electron
- An incomplete part of an electron pair bond
Answer: (d) An incomplete part of an electron pair bond
- An electron and a hole in close proximity would tend to _____.
- attract each other
- repel each other
- have no effect on each other
- destroy each other
Answer: (a) attract each other
- What is the random motion of free electrons and holes due to thermal agitation called?
- None of the above
Answer: (b) Diffusion
- Why is the mobility of free electrons greater than that of holes?
- They are light
- They mutually collide less
- They require low energy to continue the motion
- They carry negative energy
Answer: (c) They require low energy to continue the motion